Thursday, February 06, 2014

How to Pretend to be Positive

When my sister and I were kids, my mum had the infuriating habit of making us say positive things when we just wanted to be grumpy. For example, if I said:
"I hate school and all my classes are crap."
She might respond, feigning a sweet voice: "Now say that in a positive way (?)"
Of course this wouldn't instantly change our mood. Often we might shout something like:
"I positively hate everything and I positively don't want to talk to you."
Sometimes though, it might change to "I didn't like English today, because I got told off for talking." and then (having been coaxed out of the angry mindset) adding "...but Physics was ok... and we had pizza for lunch."



Now, years later, I've suddenly found myself bothered by people who tend towards looking on "the dark side" of situations (that's not a Star Wars reference, I mean the opposite of "the bright side"). I sometimes try to invite them to look at their situation more positively, but more often I'll just zone out and let them get on with it.

The problem is that, in the end, the tendency to look at things in a particular way starts to seep into your unconsciousness unless you actively avoid it.

Now, I'm not, by any stretch of the imagination, a really positive person. But I realised that I might have an advantage, because my mum's "annoying habit" taught me the ability to notice when I'm using negative language. Many people, I guess, don't even know when they're saying negative things.


In fact, I've always thought of my mum as a generally positive person, and many people would agree with me, so it was a surprise to me to find out the other day that she viewed "everything as a problem" for most of her life. When I was about 6 years old, she actively made a decision to stop using negative language.

But if we say negative things, does that mean that we are a negative person?

Is is possible that by changing what we say, we can change how we feel, even if we don't initially believe what we're saying?

Time to break out the research.

According to cognitive studies, (described in some fascinating articles by Lera Boroditsky of Stanford here and here) the language we use has a huge effect on how we view the world. One lovely example she gives is the Pormpuraaw aborigines of Northern Australia, who describe all spatial concepts in terms of compass direction. So instead of saying "My right leg hurts" they would say "My south-east leg hurts" if they were facing north-east, and "My west leg hurts" if they were facing south.
  She explains that this linguistic difference not only means that they can always tell you what direction is north, but also changes their perception of "the direction of time". When asked to arrange, for example, a series of pictures showing the growing stages of man, they will always arrange the pictures so that the sequence goes east to west, whatever direction the person is facing. Perhaps this is be because the sun travels east to west.
  Boroditsky concludes that even arbitrary quirks in the differences between languages can dramatically alter how the speaker perceives the world.


This suggests that language has a huge effect on our internal experience.

We're used to the idea that what we say "out loud" reflects what we feel "inside", but we're less familiar with the possibility that the arrow of causality might go the other way.

But how does that effect positivity?

By consistently using negative language, our view of the world will eventually change, become more negative. It won't happen overnight, but gradually so you might not even notice.

Maybe you pick up the habit of saying "I don't think so" as a response to people's suggestions (I don't know anyone that does this, it's just an example). You maybe don't really believe that everyone's suggestions are bad, it's just a verbal tic which you've unconsciously picked up.

The theory of cognitive dissonance proposes that people are uncomfortable holding contrasting beliefs in their self at the same time. So, people will naturally change either their internal beliefs or their actions in order to reduce the contrast. The theory is now generally accepted, but even competing theories all seem to agree that our actions and our thoughts tend towards some sort sort of "happy medium".

Basically, we can't have both a positive disposition and a negative way of speaking, nor vice versa. Eventually we will think more negatively or we will talk more positively, or perhaps somewhere in the middle. You'd start to think of people's suggestions as worse, simply to align with your unconscious catchphrase "I don't think so".

Speech is an action, a social action, and so one way to avoid negativity is to surround yourself with positive people (as many people suggest), but can't we be a bit more pro-active than that?

Perhaps a good place to start is just to start noticing how we use language. We can actively practice saying positive things instead of passively accepting a negative mindset. Even if you don't believe the positive things you say, the mere act of changing the way you speak will start to change how you think, as our friends from cognitive research suggest.

If you fancy starting right now, here are some exercises in positive rephrasing. It's interesting that a lot of the phrases are "don't think of a black cat" phrases. For example, the phrase "Don't be afraid to fail." includes the phrase "be afraid to fail" so on an unconscious level you will still react to the instruction to be afraid of failure even though the sentence supposedly says the opposite.

To finish up, I'll just give you this nice little list, adapted from here:

Negative phrasing:
  • tells the listener what cannot be done
  • has a subtle tone of blame
  • includes words like can't, won't, unable to (which informs the listener what you cannot do)
  • does not stress positive actions that would be appropriate, or positive consequences.
Positive phrasing:

  • tells the listener what can be done
  • suggests alternatives and choices available
  • sounds helpful and encouraging
  • stresses positive actions and positive consequences that can be anticipated.

4 comments:

tom owen said...

Really enjoyed this Alex, I WILL be more positive!

Alex said...

Thanks Tom.
Glad to hear it.
Although please do remember to reserve some of your pessimism, that we can continue to enjoy it on your rakishly cynical blog.

Heidi R said...

Alex, you're just determined to get us thinking! There is no escape! But why did you call it "how to PRETEND to be positive"? Should we 'fake until we can make it'?

I'm always in two minds about all this positive psychology stuff. Yes, there's something in it. It can make a difference. How we talk about problems and challenges can change the way we look at them.

On the other hand, sometimes things are crap and we need to be able to say it - either so we can ask for help without feeling guilty (because we should be positive and pretend everything's hunky-dory) or because stuff needs to be fixed. Also, whenever someone talks about surrounding yourself with positive people and presumably ditching those who aren't so happy-clappy, that makes me sad. I'm not going to abandon someone because they're depressed or going through a rough patch. that's not what genuine relationships are about. Believe me - trying to help my brother who suffered from really severe depression was awful. Like having the joy of life sucked out of you. I still just had to do it, because sometimes we can't choose the easy path...

Anyway, to finish off, here's my take on positive psychology and how it's applied to my life http://heidiruckriegel.wordpress.com/2013/12/13/the-power-of-positive-thinking/ warning - I'm just a cynical old bastard!

Alex said...

Hi Heidi!

It’s lovely to hear from you.

Yes, I know I’m always set on trying to ignite the gears of thought (mixed metaphor?). I’m just another learner at this whole life thing too, and just hope that people will also be interested in my discoveries about how to “hack” the process a bit.

I didn’t mean “pretend” at all to mean that we should “fake” being positive, but more that we should not get hung up on waiting to feel a particular way before we start talking that way.

Love your post. I felt quite sorry for the imp in the end, largely because I made a mental connection between it and your tiny grey cat when you introduced it, so its plummet over the cliff was accompanied by the forlorn mew of a kitten.

There are many things I had to leave out of the this article, as it’s already over my self-imposed limit, and one of them was exactly the thing you’re kindly letting me address now.

Before I start though, I must say that from my previous experiences with your writing I find you a very positive person. Perhaps the fact that you are “in on” your own thoughts means you don’t hear how positive you sound out loud (or the writing voice at least).

The way I see it is that “being positive” does not mean “ignoring negative things”, rather it means looking at those things differently so that it becomes not “a negative thing” but just “a thing” which you then talk about while facing in a more positive direction than you would without this change.

I’ll try to explain what I mean by stealing an example from my dad, who leans towards Buddhism (as much as one can lean whilst sitting in the lotus position without risk of toppling over). He might take your example of a sore stomach by saying “just experience the feeling.” To say that something “hurts” or is “sore”, he might say, “is to impose a subjective quality to it. Instead, the idea is to just experience the situation of the pain, say “hmmm that’s an interesting sensation, there’s a sort of rolling pain going up the right side of my stomach and a dull ache under the bellybutton”, for example. By doing this you stop reacting the pain in a kind of “aaarggh. pain! bastard pain!” and experience it just as it is.
Similarly, practising to change one’s default stance from positive to negative is not about ignoring “bad” situations but instead about just looking at the situation as it is and choosing to focus on the positives instead of defaulting to an “aaargh pain!” reaction to the “negatives”. Like looking on the situation with one of those “fresh pair of eyes” that you might remember I wrote about for that course we did (I’ll remix it for this blog at some point too).

One thing I try to do with situations is follow the same sequence as when I stub my bare toe on a table leg. The first reaction is “f**k that hurts!!”, just as the reaction to a new situation I don’t like is to have a rant about it. When the pain dies down to a dull throb I have a choice, either I can repeatedly fret about how sore my toe is, or I can “rephrase” the pain (or outside the metaphor, the situation) into something different, and altogether less important than my grumbles would make it.

Having said that, when it comes to things like feeling ill, such as your article, I’m personally a huge fan of moaning and complaining and clamouring for sympathy from my suffering loved ones. Sometimes we don’t need to be strong and infinitely positive; sometimes we need hugs and mollycoddling.

I don’t imagine for a second that we should be “all positive all the time”. I’d just like to reorient myself so that instead of unconsciously favouring facing a negative direction I can learn to unconsciously face in a positive direction.

But I’d still complain like a toddler if I had a sore stomach like yours.